Cooking a healthy dinner each night is one of the challenges of parenting. Many of us work all day and come home to homework, hungry kids and exhaustion. I’m slowly learning that dinner preparation is best done in our house either 1) ahead of time (think crock pot) or 2) with the kids helping. For my kids, this distracts them from whining and snacking. Yesterday my daughter and I made up a new recipe on the fly – and it was a big hit. We call these “Ham and Cheese Nests”.
- A package of pillsbury rolls (you could also use the pizza dough, italian bread, whatever)
- Press each roll (or shape sections) into little round nests making
- Put in a layer of shredded cheese (we used low-fat mozzarella)
- Ideally – layer some fresh spinach or other veggie (you’ll notice many of our nests are missing the spinach)
- Place little cubes of ham in each nests (you could skip the meat for vegetarians out there)
- A little more cheese sprinkled on top
- Bake at 375 for 12 -1 5 min.
My 4 yo daughter (pictured here – so proud). My son ate three of these which is unheard of for him! We served with a side of edemame. Yummy.